Monday, March 30, 2009

I am not who you think I am

That's right. On Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings I am not myself. Who am I? I am


Jackie Chan.

For the past 3.5 years I have been going to an exercise class with a heavy mixed martial arts influence on MWF mornings. I love the way I feel after I've gone, and I like(ish) it while I am there, but most days, I need an alter ego to get me through it. So, in my brain, I become Jackie Chan fighting all the bad guys (and I always kick their butts). Except on the days when the teacher really is kicking my butt, then I am Rocky Balboa in between rounds when he is fighting the Russian and Paulie is leaning over his shoulder yelling "NO PAIN! NO PAIN! NO PAIN!"

In all actuality, I might not be able to kick a bad guy's butt, but I think I could do some damage. I once took out a chunk from my thumb when I was being extra "Jackie".

Tuesday mornings I am:

Isabella Carmalita Torrez, Daughter of a wealthy Latin shipping merchant.

It is Zumba day. Truth is, I am very far from being my alter ego Isabella. I figure, though, that in a year and a half I'll be ready to go clubbing in Cabo and not look like a complete idiot. Just a semi-idiot. Yeah. It's that bad. But fun.

*Until my teacher who slipped a disc comes back, I am girl on elliptical watching American Idol on Tuesdays.

On Thursdays

I am.

It is yoga night. Nothing feels better than that first deep inhale to mountain and exhale to forward fold. Ahhhh.

So if you ever see me when I am working out (heaven forbid) and I look cross eyed, I am just super focused on the evil ninjas that sometimes come dangerously close. If I don't acknowledge your presence, I am probably hoping you won't notice that I have hopelessly unwiggly hips. If I am breathing too loudly through my nose, leave me alone. I am trying to release tension and focus on...nothing. And that is tougher than you'd think.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Amelia...you are AMAZING!!!! I am telling you...you NEED to write a book...like Erma Bombeck...only better. How did I luck out to be your mom? You are so precious. xo

Unknown said...

PS...I want to watch you exercise...can I come too? And aren't you proud of me...I figured out my password!!!!!!!!!!! And I fixed Dad's TV so it has sound now. He smiled real big at me...cool. xo

Justin and Callie said...

I miss coming!!!! One of these days....

Ariana said...

I love all your secret alter egos! We should embroider super hero t-shirts for each one. heehee

Amber said...

I am going to remember this so when I am not wanting to be there!