
"She's beautiful. What is she?"
Huh??? I understood the question when she was an infant and looked like a japanimation cartoon...I even understood when they asked me if I adopted her. She's changed to look enough like me now, so people don't ask that anymore. They do, however, still ask me what she is. I want to to tell them "She's a girl", but I know their questions are about her ethnicity.
One month before I got married, I attended my husband's family reunion. I remember many of his cousins and sisters complaining that people would come up to them at school and ask, "what are you??" I laughed to myself at how tactless teenagers could be. Well, maybe not tactless so much as curious and blunt. I didn't really think I would ever have to deal with that situation myself.
Then I had a baby.
Some people ask politely, and usually when I don't have her standing right next to me. I don't mind that...sometimes people are just curious and I get that.
It is the complete strangers that ask me like she isn't even there while I am holding her hand right next to me. Huh??? {This happened this week, and all I could think of was Michael Scott from "The Office" saying, "Wow. You are very exotic looking. Was your dad a G.I.?"} Luckily, they usually preface the question with a compliment, so the damage to her self esteem is minimal (I hope).
She did ask me once if it felt different to be so white skinned, instead of brown.
She is very proud of her heritage, and likes that she has the same color skin as Daddy. I don't think that she has ever felt out of place or uncomfortable because of her ethnicity. (It's not like she sticks out like a sore thumb, there is just enough that people can't quite place her) She knows she looks a little different, and it doesn't bother her at all. She has enough friends that look different in other ways, it is something that is cool.
It's just those blasted strangers. Grrr.
{just for the record, if you are wondering, she is one quarter Japanese}


8 comments:
Hey I wrote a post then somehow Kota hit the trash can and then enter and I really don't understand what happened but then it was gone so here we go again. She is beautiful. I usually get mistaken for being able to speak spanish which I then have to just sit and stare at them and shake my head. I don't even understand why the strangers even have to ask.
Anyways we want to come and visit. We need to figure out a good weekend that we could do some fun stuff.
Both your girlies are so gorgeous... I guess strangers just ask dumb questions no matter what. Sometimes random people will say "Oh you're boy's so cute! He doesn't look anything like you though" or something along those lines. I have to wonder how they think of such a thing to say....by saying Preston is cute and I don't look like him, I can therefore infer that they do not think I am cute. hahahaha Whatever man.
I had a YW leader in Portland whose mom was a white Australian lady and her dad was Chinese (from Hong Kong). She has black asian hair, light skin, western eyes, and the most unplaceable accent you've ever heard. She still gets lots of questions....
Lamie says your girls are the most beautiful little girls he has ever seen! And I agree! People just dont think, It like asking someone with a gut if they are pregnant. I think peoplw will always say things like that! Unfortunately!
ahh yes... the infamous "what are you"... so funny... one day on good morning utah they introduced the new nighttime anchor "karen Carlson" and they asked her what she was and she replied, "well it is really RARE, I'm half Japanese." I about died laughing... I've NEVER thought being HALF anything was rare, especially now days... we are all getting to be a little heinz 57...
He He...Aparently she has never been to talphus park the first saturday in July.... :)
some people can be pretty dumb. I get the (very occational, but still annoying), "is he yours" question when I'm out with Isaac. People should either assume or let it go. I wonder if it will annoy him as he gets older? My favorite is when I catch people staring at my three kids and checking out their race- white, black/white, white and are trying to figure out how that was possible. Did I cheat on my husband with a black man? :) I figure I could tell them that he is adopted since we are so "pro-adoption" but I then I think- it's really none of their business anyway. your girls are gorgeous Mel!
ok, that picture is ADORABLE!!!!! I want one of those!!! I'll trade for an adorable one on my camera of little sister. What an amazing gene pool you two have!!!xo
Post a Comment