Tuesday, January 20, 2009

My thoughts about today



Today I am so proud to be an American. As I watched the inauguration of President Obama, I felt so proud to be a part of this amazing country. I think we all should, weather or not you voted for Obama. (I'm not gonna tell who I voted for, so neener neeener neener) I was so struck with the history of it. I thought about all the inaugurations I have seen (the first one I remember is Regan, I was in a hotel with my mom...) and I couldn't help but feel the history of it all. The military band playing made me wonder if that was a bit what it was like for our founding fathers...a band playing while the people gather to watch a new president take office, the same oaths taken. But what struck me the most was this:


The peaceful transfer of power. I never really thought about it before, and maybe it was because I felt so much tension during the campaigns, but I was really struck this morning. To put the choice up to the people, and then accept that decision--no fighting or bloodshed-- is an awesome thing. To pass the mantle with not much more than a handshake and some goodwill...to accept the office with a simple oath...It is democracy at it's very best. I am proud to be a small part of it. Now that all the pomp and circumstance is over, it is time to get to work, and I will be praying for our new President to be wise and effective and successful. God Bless America.

On a lighter note, What was up with the poem? I didn't get it. And the benediction was...interesting. When Aretha Franklin got up to sing, I said "That is quite the hat" to which my 4 yr old replied, "that is quite the woman". Then, when she started to sing, she said, "That is quite the voice, mom" :)

These pics can be found here.

2 comments:

Emily H. said...

I loved reading this and I loved this day (I also like Obama)! But yes, what a remarkable country this is where we can peacefully transition the cabinet and office of president. And yes, the poem? No idea. I like the the prayer with the funny color rhymes. "Let me hear you say, Amen!" Amen! :)

Ariana said...

I loved Obama's speech...it seemed to be missing all the democrat stuff about the government taking care of you and fixing all the problems. I loved his focus on responsibility at all levels, and how our current problems are a result of greed and dishonesty. I loved his reference to Washington, in the winter during the Revolutionary War. If we all stop and look at the history of this country, the stuff we are going through now is bad but it could be sooooo much worse. We could be fighting on our own soil, etc etc. I hope Obama can channel our founding fathers and be a real leader -- as in somebody who inspires people to get up and act. I also LOVED that quartet with Yo-Yo Ma and Itzhak Perlman. That song was perfect....if you know the words, it says "Tis a gift to be simple, tis a gift to be free..." Such a good reminder!