Friday, August 8, 2008

Ladies and Gentleman, Medammes et Monsieurs...

Daaaaa dum da dum dum dum dum, dum dedlelelum dum.... The XXIX Olympiad is here!!

I am so excited. I have loved the Olympics for as long as I can remember. All my siblings would play that we were Olympians in the back yard. As a little girl, I remember crying during the parade of nations when the American athletes would enter the stadium. I watch all the tear-jerker stories they do on athletes and coaches, I cheer out loud for all the events...This is so awesome! I cannot wait for the opening ceremonies tonight.(can you tell I am totally geeking out??) It is already online, and it is killing me to wait...but the laundry must be done and the bathrooms must be cleaned.

To help us all wait, I am posting one of my very favorite Olympic moments. I remember watching this one on the TV at my parents house. What an amazing thing it was to watch.


Derek Redmond - a weak leg, a strong father Barcelona, 1992


This was to be his moment. Though he had been plagued by injuries throughout his career, on the evening of August the third, 1992, Derek Redmond had never felt stronger.
He broke quickly in lane five, quickly making up the stagger on the runners in lanes six through eight. Then Redmond felt something pop in his right leg. He had torn his hamstring. As the other runners finished the race, all eyes turned to him, helpless and motionless on the track.
Suddenly, a man appeared next to the injured runner, who, in spite of his injury, was determined to complete the race. Redmond's father had been watching in disbelief from the grandstand. Now, he provided a much-needed shoulder as his son hobbled in agony toward the finish line.
(Credit: IOC)
I remember seeing the guys with the stretchers running out, Derek waiving them off and trying to walk the rest of the race himself. Then his dad was there. They would finish together. After the crowd gave a standing ovation that seemed to last so long. It was amazing. That is what the Olympics are all about, to me. That is the true Olympic spirit.
So, bring on the next two weeks! I can't wait to share this with my kids... my oldest is excited to see the swimmers...I think I know what she will be imagining next time we go to the pool...

No comments: